SERVES 4 – Preparation 25 mins – Cooking time 150 mins
- Preheat the oven to 170°C. Place a heavy based casserole over a moderately high heat. Rub some olive oil over the lamb and season with salt and pepper. Sear for 8 minutes or until browned all over. Remove the shanks and set aside.
- Place the shallots in the pan and cook for 4 minutes or until coloured. Add the wine, stock, vinegar and rosemary along with the lamb. Bring up to the boil, cover and place in the oven for 2 hours or until very tender. Remove the lid and cook for a further 30 minutes. Turn them over once or twice if they are colouring too much.
- Use a spoon to skim off any fat that has risen to the surface and reduce the sauce over a high heat if necessary. Serve with olive oil mash and steamed brocollini.
- The lamb shanks can be cook the day before and gently heated to serve.
- You can substitute the mashed potato with some soft polenta.
DOWNLOAD OUR FREE “MEAT CUTS” APP
Learn how to best match meat cuts with cooking methods: MLA has launched a new smartphone app to help consumers improve their knowledge of meat cuts and cooking methods to give them more confidence when it comes to cooking beef, veal, lamb and goat.
The ‘”Meat Cuts” app educates consumers on how to best match meat cuts with cooking methods with just a few taps on their mobile.
Find Meat Cuts for free in Google Play and The Apple Store.